Now that summer here has finally gotten around to being genuinely warm, we might actually welcome cold food for supper. Here is a cold pizza, loaded with vegetables and made zippy with a Thai-style peanut sauce. No cheese in sight. I first ate this pizza at a party I attended, loved it, forgot it, then bumped into a picture of it somewhere, and thought I ought to try it out.
It is up to you whether or not you make your own crust. There are plenty of options with pre-baked ones or dough ready to line a pan and bake at home. Once the pizza dough is baked you can assemble the pizza any time.
It can be as spicy as you like, which is to say if you don’t like spicy then leave out anything like red pepper. The sauce is very similar to the one used for chicken satay, or Pad Thai, or one I use for plain pasta. If you already have a favorite peanut sauce recipe, by all means use it.
Actually, giving this pizza a little needed oomph is easily accomplished by serving it with bottled hot sauce on the table (there is even a spicy peanut sauce manufactured right here in the State of Maine by Stonewall Kitchen that Toby likes). That way an individual diner can ramp up the heat to personal taste.
If a vegetarian pizza won’t work in your household, add some cooked chicken or shrimp to the top of this and you’ll be all set.
- ⅓ cup of smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced, or dried powdered to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 thin, twelve-inch pre-baked pizza crust
- ½ large red pepper, diced finely
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded coarsely
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 2-3 scallions white and green parts, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped or shredded
- Chopped peanuts
- Mix the peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger together and add pureed garlic.
- Spread evenly over the pizza crust.
- Sprinkle evenly the red pepper, shredded carrots, and bean sprouts.
- Top with sliced scallions, cilantro and chopped peanuts.
- Serve with hot sauce, if desired.