Don’t get me wrong: I love all those ooey, gooey, creamy, cheesy dips that you stick salty, fatty chips into then slurp up. Yum, then groan; I can practically feel the little globules of fat attaching themselves to my midriff. Oh, for the long-gone days of a superlative metabolism.
So, with considerable joy I offer up this lovely alternative, chock full of wholesome ingredients and as satisfying a treat as anything drenched in sour cream. Plus the fact that it is made with easily acquired, pre-made ingredients, ought to appeal to many, even some of us die-hard, from-scratch cooks who need a break once in a while.
I learned to make this from Toby’s daughter-in-law Tara when we visited with her and Ian and three grandkiddies this past fall. Ian does quite lot of the cooking so while he worked on the chicken, Tara assembled the dip out of hummus, tabouli, and feta cheese. All she did was spread a layer of hummus on a serving plate, sprinkle over it a layer of tabouli, pretty with green parsley and chopped red tomatoes, then scattered bit of finely crumbled feta over that. She passed pita chips to scoop it up with. It was ridiculously delicious. Ridiculously easy.
Don’t fret about how thick the layers ought to be. Make it as thick or thin as you like. Equal quantities of the two works well. Taste the hummus and the tabouli before spreading and decide if you think a squeeze of lemon juice or a dribble of olive oil would improve the situation and add them if they are needed. A sprinkle of feta is sufficient, maybe two or three tablespoons. These days you can also acquire crumbled feta for sprinkling. Obviously, you can also scoop this dip up with carrots slices cut crosswise into generous ovals; or cucumber slices, celery, peppers; then you can congratulate yourself for serving salad as an appetizer.
If you have favorite recipes for homemade hummus and/or tabouli, don’t let me stand in the way of your concocting a from-scratch version of this dish. Otherwise, pick up a package of each on your way home from work or next time you run to the store. Or maybe make it two packages.
- 1 package premade hummus dip
- 1 package premade tabouli
- Lemon juice, optional to taste
- Olive oil, optional to taste
- Salt and pepper, optional to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese.
- Pita or other chips and/or vegetables for dipping.
- Spread about half an inch of hummus over a serving plate.
- Spread about half an inch of tabouli over the hummus.
- Add optional lemon juice and or olive oil if needed, to taste.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the crumbled feta evenly over the tabouli.
- Serve with chips or vegetables.